Thursday, January 18, 2018

Review of The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd

Read for: TBR & that cover and horses!

Synopsis: "There are winged horses that live in the mirrors of Briar Hill hospital. In the mirrors that line its grand hallways, which once belonged to a princess. In those that reflect the elegant rooms, now filled with sick children. It is her secret.

One morning, when Emmaline climbs over the wall of the hospital’s abandoned gardens, she discovers something incredible: a white horse with broken wings has left the mirror-world and entered her own.

Tucked into the garden’s once-gleaming sundial, Emmaline finds a letter from the Horse Lord. He is hiding the wounded white horse, named Foxfire, from a dark and sinister force—a Black Horse who hunts by colorless moonlight. If Emmaline is to keep the Black Horse from finding her new friend, she must collect colorful objects with which to blind him. But where can Emmaline find color when her world is filled with gray?"


My Review: This was a complete cover buy for me, you give me magic and flying horses and I am all over it! I was really intrigued by this story, it had an interesting setting and time period, and the cast of characters were also really unique and well developed. This is one of those books that can be read in different ways and it isn't clear exactly how the author intended it to be read, but you can read it as a straight up fantasy, or you can read it as if it is all symbolism. There is always that question whether Emmaline is imagining this to make herself feel better, is it a symptom of her illness or is it something more. The ending is also left up to your own interpretation and I absolutely love when an author can do this with a book.

My Rating: This was such an interesting book and I love that it could mean so many different things to so many different people, there is also so much left open to interpretation.  This book definitely earns a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!  Also never be afraid to pick up a Middle Grade book!

2 comments:

  1. I think I might have to try this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you give it a shot and enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete