Thursday, January 25, 2018

Review of The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden

Read for: Netgalley/Requested Review (& there is a horse on the cover)


Synopsis: "The magical adventure begun in The Bear and the Nightingale continues as brave Vasya, now a young woman, is forced to choose between marriage or life in a convent and instead flees her home—but soon finds herself called upon to help defend the city of Moscow when it comes under siege.

Orphaned and cast out as a witch by her village, Vasya’s options are few: resign herself to life in a convent, or allow her older sister to make her a match with a Moscovite prince. Both doom her to life in a tower, cut off from the vast world she longs to explore. So instead she chooses adventure, disguising herself as a boy and riding her horse into the woods. When a battle with some bandits who have been terrorizing the countryside earns her the admiration of the Grand Prince of Moscow, she must carefully guard the secret of her gender to remain in his good graces—even as she realizes his kingdom is under threat from mysterious forces only she will be able to stop."


My Review:  I finally finished this book, it didn't take me nearly as long as The Bear and the Nightingale but it still took longer than I expected. This is definitely a book that is meant to be read at a slower pace with all your focus on it. I was too easily distracted by other books that I was reading during the slower parts of the story. Some of the issue for me was the pacing, it would be really slow and things described in detail when there was not a whole lot happening and then when the action would pick up the description was gone and it went too fast. I did however enjoy Vasya's character development throughout this story and my favorite parts were when her and Solovey were together. I loved the bond that they had and the adventures they went on were exciting and dangerous yet honorable. While I did enjoy this story, I really feel like it could use some trimming down, I feel like not all the tangents throughout the book were not truly necessary even though they were tied in nicely. I am intrigued by the third story, hoping it will focus on Masha but by the time it has been released I may have lost interest.

My Rating: Like with the first book I really struggle to rate this book, the writing is beautiful but I was so easily distracted, I enjoyed parts of it but as a whole it isn't high on my list.  I have to go with a middle of the road rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.  I really think that some readers will really appreciate the slow pacing of this book and it will definitely work better for readers who focus on one book at a time.


I received this book via Netgalley, the above is my honest review.

To find out more about Katherine Arden and her work visit her Goodreads Page.

The Girl in the Tower is the second book in the Winternight Trilogy and was released in early December.  You can obtain your own copy in print or digital formats from Amazon or Barnes and Noble or check with your favorite book supplier.


1 comment:

  1. Well, it’s a shame they’re a bit too long and overly detailed. The cover of this one is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete