Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Advent Reads Day 6: The Christmas Letters by Bret Nicholaus

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: Advent Reads - Library/Overdrive

Synopsis: "In the heartwarming tradition of Richard Paul Evans's The Christmas Box, this timeless story will inspire all generations.
With the whole family convened for holiday festivities, Grandpa speaks from his heart to his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchild. "This may be the last Christmas I get to spend with each of you, so I want to give each of you a letter." The nine envelopes Grandpa hands to his family each contain a personal story of how they brought joy to him, and a life lesson that not only speaks to them but moves readers to reflect on the ways their lives have been touched by their loved ones."


My Review: Brace yourself for a quick tear-jerking story for the holiday season! This is a nice short book that will fit into your busy holiday schedule but it packs enough emotion that you can't help but be drawn right in and reminded more of what the spirit of the season is about, loved ones. It does take a hard religious turn that I don't think it really needed but it does go along with the message for so many. Either way it will make you pause and really think about what you want your holidays to be like.
 

My Rating: This one certainly pulled on the heart strings, though the drastic religious turn threw me off, not that I mind religion especially during the holidays but I prefer it to be a little more subtle and well integrated.  Even with that turn it was still so enjoyable that I give it a rating of Four Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment