Monday, December 4, 2017

Advent Reads Day 4: A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: TBR Pile

Synopsis: "Originally emerging from a piece written for radio, the poem was recorded by Thomas in 1952. The story is an anecdotal retelling of a Christmas from the view of a young child and is a romanticised version of Christmases past, portraying a nostalgic and simpler time. It is one of Thomas' most popular works.

Summary (on verso of title page): A Welsh poet recalls the celebration of Christmas in Wales and the feelings it evoked in him as a child."


My Review: So I picked this one up a while ago for the Advent Reads event, figuring it would be fun to have a classic and poetry at that during the event. I first tried to listen to this as an audio book and I don't know if it was the narrator or the story itself but it didn't translate well and I had a difficult time paying attention or following it. So instead I picked up the print book and it was a little easier to read but it still didn't capture my attention. I think that maybe it is a bit dated for me and it wasn't relatable to me. Others who really enjoy classic works may enjoy it, and it is a quick read, the edition I have also has some great pencil illustrations in it.

My Rating: While I appreciate classic literature, poetry and the sentimentality and nostalgia of Christmases when you were a kid, this book just doesn't transition well to modern times or my reading preferences.  It may be perfect for some readers but it didn't work for me, I give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.




No comments:

Post a Comment