Saturday, October 21, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of Frankenstein Underground by Mike Mignola, Ben Stenbeck & Dave Stewart

Read for: Graphic Novel & it is Frankenstein's Monster time of year!

Synopsis: "After a fight with Hellboy, Frankenstein’s monster escapes the terrible Mexican laboratory where he was imprisoned and discovers strange creatures beneath the desert, where he’ll learn some of the greatest secrets of the mystical world in the strangest Hellboy spinoff yet! Collects Frankenstein Underground #1–#5."

My Review: This time of year always sends me looking for a new version of Frankenstein, and I found this one at a sale in my local comic book shop and had to pick it up. I have never read Hellboy, and I was worried that this would be like so many other super hero style stories and you have to read all related stories to make sense of it, but luckily that was not the case, there was only a little reference to the Hellboy storyline and it wasn't necessary to this one. I really enjoyed the artwork in this book, an interesting combination of beauty and grotesque. I also really like the way that Mignola filled out the happenings between the end of the original Frankenstein and the time of this story. He also integrated a few different belief systems and myths into one new adventure. I am on team Monster so I always love seeing him being the bad guy to be the good guy.

My Rating: I have really started to lower my expectations for anything that might have a super hero connection, but was pleasantly surprised with this one.  While the monster wasn't as perfect as some others I have seen (at least for the picture in my mind) it was still a great one. I give it a rating of Four Paws.

2 comments:

  1. I try to stay away from any retelling or spinoffs of Frankenstein because they always disappoint. I’ll keep this one in mind if I can get over my aversion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun! Have your read Gris Grismly's graphic novel of Frankenstein? It is really good.

    ReplyDelete