Friday, September 30, 2016

Banned Book Week: And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell

Since this book was first published in 2005 it has appeared on the annual top ten most challenged books (according to the ALA's list) 7 times, many of those have been in the top spot! That is shocking to me in today's society were same sex couples are adopting children, and those kids are entering the school system. By reacting negatively to this book or withholding it (and others like it) from our children we are causing ignorance and possible hatred.  The other thing that I find surprising is that the people who are challenging this book are not challenging a work of fiction but actual fact, an actual event that occurred and trying to suppress that event.  Honestly, the challenges and bans of this book infuriate me the most of all the banned books I have read recently. This is a beautiful book about love in all its shapes and forms.  After reading And Tango Makes Three I asked Munchkin one question, "Do you think the two daddies and the baby make a family?" without hesitation he responded "Of course Momma, they love each other and take care of baby just like you and daddy take care of me." In that moment, I could not have been more proud of Munchkin, and am happy in the knowledge that I have done something so right in raising him!
 
 
Synopsis: "In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others. This illustrated children's book fictionalizes the true story of two male penguins who became partners and raised a penguin chick in the Central Park Zoo."

My Review: I picked up this book for Banned Book Week to read with Munchkin. We listened to the audio CD in the car while he looked at the book. It is a touching story and the illustrations are adorable. We both really enjoyed the story and have listened to it multiple times already. I also love that this is a non-fiction book, and of course Munchkin has always loved penguins!
 
Rating: We absolutely love this story, Munchkin has been requesting the penguin story almost every time we are in the car anymore.  Oh and can I just say that I love Neil Patrick Harris narrating this book! We can't help but give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment