Thursday, March 31, 2016

After Dark Review of Marked by Elisabeth Naughton

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
 
Read for: Audiobooks & Mount TBR
 
Synopsis: "THERON - Dark haired, duty bound and deceptively deadly. He's the leader of the Argonauts, an elite group of guardians that defends the immortal realm from threats of the Underworld.

From the moment he walked into the club, Casey knew this guy was different. Men like that just didn't exist in real life--silky shoulder-length hair, chest impossibly broad, and a predatory manner that just screamed dark and dangerous. He was looking for something. Her.

She was the one. She had the mark. Casey had to die so his kind could live, and it was Theron's duty to bring her in. But even as a 200-year-old descendant of Hercules, he wasn't strong enough to resist the pull in her fathomless eyes, to tear himself away from the heat of her body.

As war with the Underworld nears, someone will have to make the ultimate sacrifice."


My Review: I really struggled with this one at the beginning. I was listening to the audio version and several of the names and terms were so similar it was hard to keep straight. There were also a lot of terms that were either obscure or made up, I couldn't tell which and it was very difficult to figure out the meaning. There was also a need for a lot of world building but you had to fumble the majority of the way through the book before things were explained. With that said the time that wasn't spent world was spent developing the characters and the sexual tension between Cassie and Theron. There is a lot of action for the adventure seeking reader and steam for the romance readers, there is also a connection to the classic myths as well. So there is a little bit for nearly all readers, but you have to fumble your way through for quite a while. I am not sure if I will continue this series (I much preferred Naughton's Firebrand Trilogy).
 
My Rating: I had a really hard time keeping things straight in the beginning of this book, there wasn't enough world building or at least explanation of elements of the story.  Once I got past that and could focus on the characters it was good. I give it a rating of Two Paws.


No comments:

Post a Comment