Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Review of South of Superior by Ellen Airgood

Read for: Mount TBR & Reading Across the States
 
Synopsis: "When Madeline Stone walks away from Chicago and moves five hundred miles north to the coast of Lake Superior, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, she isn't prepared for how much her life will change.

Charged with caring for an aging family friend, Madeline finds herself in the middle of beautiful nowhere with Gladys and Arbutus, two octogenarian sisters-one sharp and stubborn, the other sweeter than sunshine. As Madeline begins to experience the ways of the small, tight-knit town, she is drawn into the lives and dramas of its residents. It's a place where times are tough and debts run deep, but friendship, community, and compassion run deeper. As the story hurtles along-featuring a lost child, a dashed love, a car accident, a wedding, a fire, and a romantic reunion-Gladys, Arbutus, and the rest of the town teach Madeline more about life, love, and goodwill than she's learned in a lifetime.

A heartwarming novel, South of Superior explores the deep reward in caring for others, and shows how one who is poor in pocket can be rich in so many other ways, and how little it often takes to make someone happy."



My Review: This was an odd book for me, I don't know what I really expected but it was still something I was not expecting. Not a lot really happens other than day to day relationships and hardships but somehow the story still really pulled me in. Every time I would say I will finish this chapter and go to bed, I found myself reading another 3 or 4 chapters. I did like the way the story brought the characters around over time to a new way of looking at life, instead of looking for all the negative things that have happened but instead looking at the good. It wasn't a blow me out of the water with the feel goods but it still gave a little bit of that warmth and thought that maybe things really aren't all that bad.
 
 
My Rating: I really can't tell you what kept me so captivated by this book because there really wasn't a lot going on and I didn't really find a lot of connection with the characters either.  It has earned a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment