Monday, June 16, 2014

What's for Dinner this Week? (11)

What's for Dinner This Week is a little insight into my life for you every Monday night. I carefully plan out meals for the week ahead of time and do my shopping over the weekend.  So I wanted to start sharing with you one of the recipes or dinners I am most looking forward to each week.
 
 
I grew up with summers as a kid being fun and laid back, usually my Mom was the only one home with us so our lunches were pretty light and munchie like.  One of my favorites was the radish sandwich, it isn't summer until I have one still. My mom finally told me why she made them and it was because she had them as a kid and being one of 7 children funds were tight, and the radish sandwich is about as cheap of a meal as they come.  Now everyone I have met that actually eats them has a different way of enjoying the radish sandwich.  Our family always does butter on bread with the sliced radishes and a little sprinkle of salt.
 
For my bridal shower many years ago my best friend made me these delicious cucumber sandwiches, they had a creamy spread and then a little slice of cucumber and a dollop of diced pimentos. 
 
So both these simple little sandwiches have come to speak summer to me and I found something fantastic while I was browsing recipes last week looking for something for father's day . . .
 
these little treats combine my favorite things about both my summer sandwiches! I can't wait to make these for those warm days coming up (maybe even to take on a picnic to the park with Munchkin).
 
 
 
What recipe screams summer to you? Was there a recipe handed down in your family from times of financial hardship that are more delicious than expensive meals?


2 comments:

  1. Hmm I've never had a radish sandwich though I love the cucumber ones. I like just a tomato sandwich in the summer. Tomato, a little salt. Maybe a little butter or swiss/cheddar cheese or yellow mustard depending on the day. Mmm. And now I'm totally hungry. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny how different everyone's tastes are! I like slicing my tomatoes and sprinkling sugar on them and just eating that way (its how my dad has always done it so I guess I picked that up from him).

      Delete