Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Review of The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester

 
Synopsis: "Memories are the ultimate contradiction. They can warm us on our coldest days or they can freeze a loved one out of our lives forever. The McCarthy family has a trove of warm memories. Of innocent first kisses. Of sumptuous family meals. Of wondrous lessons learned at the foot of a rocking chair. But they also have had their share of icy ones. Of words that can never be unsaid. Of choices that can never be unmade. Of actions that can never be undone.

Following the death of his beloved wife, John McCarthy Grandpa John calls his family back home. It is time for them to face the memories they have made, both warm and cold. Only then can they move beyond them and into the future.

A rich portrait of a family at a crossroad, THE ROCKIN' CHAIR is Steven Manchester’s most heartfelt and emotionally engaging novel to date. If family matters to you, it is a story you must read."

My Review: Yup another emotional journey from Mr. Manchester! I was tearing up after only 7 pages and got chocked up several time throughout the book. I loved the characters and the setting, both were so rich (and I kind of want another book about John & Alice's life and how they met because I adored them both). There are so many little life lessons in The Rockin' Chair that you could spend hours highlighting them but you forget to because you are too absorbed in the story. Some of the lessons that Grandpa John gives are ones that you don't fully comprehend until they smack you in the face. I do love Grandpa John's tough love but non-judgmental approach to issues that arose in the family, reminds me so much of my own grandfather and my parents. I think there is at least one character in this story that each reader can relate. I would also like a follow up story for Evan, I want to know what he accomplishes with his writing! I could probably follow the McCarthy family through all their paths and never get tired of reading about them.
 
My Rating: I guess this is a classic case of leave them wanting more! I so enjoyed the story and characters that I want more of them, more time with them, and more of their stories.  I had a hard time putting this book down (even while at work and having to hide the tears and sniffles as allergies). I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
 
The Rockin' Chair was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
 
You can find out more about Steven Manchester and his work on his Website, Facebook and Goodreads.
 
You can also obtain your own digital or print copy of The Rockin' Chair on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment