Friday, July 26, 2013

Bedtime Story: The Napping House

 
Synopsis: "Everyone knows the cumulative rhyme “This Is the House That Jack Built,” but The Napping House (1984) is close on its heels in the race for posterity: “And on that granny / there is a child / a dreaming child / on a snoring granny / on a cozy bed / in a napping house, / where everyone is sleeping.” Included in the napping house menagerie is a dozing dog, a snoozing cat, a slumbering mouse, and a wakeful flea who ends up toppling the whole sleep heap with one chomp! Don Wood’s delightfully detailed comical illustrations are bathed in moonlight blues until the sun comes up, then all is color and rainbows and a very awake household."

My Review: I think I may be one of the few who have never heard of this rhyme but it reminds me of that saying from when I was a kid about the Old Lady who swallowed the fly. It is a silly story that is bound to get your tongue tied when reading it out loud and it really isn't one for unwinding before bedtime. The pictures are cute and the coloring of the images is beautiful. Munchkin seemed to enjoy the silliness of the story.
 
My Rating: I guess this was a middle of the road book for me but Munchkin seemed to enjoy it and I think he will grow to like it even more as he gets older.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
Good Night!  Sweet Dreams!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite picture books ever! Gosh, I miss reading picture books to my kids. Grandkids? Anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures were great in this one. I love reading to my munchkin and am determined to create a book lover! Haha start stealing neighborhood kids.

      Delete