Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review of Last Regress by Rachael J. Thorne

Synopsis: "Alyssa Matthews thought she had an explanation for everything. After all, as a slightly sceptical paranormal investigator that was what she was used to doing; researching, observing and explaining.

So when she began writing a paper about a long forgotten case of death by Spontaneous Human Combustion, she assumed it would be a run-of-the-mill piece. Little did she realise that she was about to be plunged into a situation that would not only force her to question her own sanity, but also her scepticism about the nature of the paranormal.

Not to mention the dreams that just wouldn’t go away..."


My Review: Last Regress was sent to me by the author for an honest review. It took quite a while for this book to build up steam. I felt like the first several chapters just kept repeating themselves, I don't know if that was by design to draw the readers into Alyssa's possible psychosis. Honestly, Alyssa drove me a little crazy and definitely was not my favorite character, I much preferred Nathaniel and Cain with their perspective stories. As compared to what we are all use to with paranormal being witches, vampires and shapeshifters; Thorne takes a much more traditional approach to paranormal with ghosts, other dimensions and dabbling in chants and black magic. I was really hoping for the spontaneous human combustion to take a much stronger role in the book but sadly it only made a brief appearance. Another thing that caught me a little off guard is the romance, it doesn't really build so much as that it is suddenly very there. It almost felt out of place and much of that chapter wasn't really needed. With all that said, Thorne did a fantastic job with the Dark Ones and creating the scare factor for me. I honestly had to set the book aside for a little while so I would stop looking for creepy shadows in the corners of the room every night.
 
My Rating: I really have mixed feelings about this one, I definitely liked some parts and other parts not so much.  I think it would be a great paranormal horror if some of the romance was removed.  I give it a rating of Two Paws.
 
 
Last Regress was sent to me by the author to read and give an honest review.
 
You can find out more about Rachael Thorne & Last Regress on Goodreads or Facebook
 
You can also obtain your own ebook copy on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment