Friday, April 29, 2011

Bedtime Story: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

Ok so to start off with I am sorry for the influx of posts, I don't really want to be posting more than 2 times a day but I wanted to get started on my own personal book challenge for this year.  When better to review a children's book than right before bed?!

Tonight's bedtime story is:

If You Give a Mouse A Cookie
by Laura Numeroff & Illustrated by Felicia Bond


Synopsis from Goodreads: "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. . . ." So begins this delightful story about an energetic mouse and an accommodating little boy."


My Review:  I was only two when this originally came out but it took things a while to arrive in our tiny town, so I vaguely remember when it arrived.  I remember when I was little I loved this book because the mouse wore overalls! How cute is that?! I also remember that next to the Very Hungry Caterpillar this was one of my brother's favorites. Now that I re-read this one as an adult I wonder what exactly is the moral of the story? I would venture to say that pretty much all children's books have a moral or lesson to be learned.  After a little pondering I think that the moral of this story is not to feed animals or pets people food, a good lesson to be learned.  Honestly though if someone is going to come in and sweep their mess and then get carried away and sweep the whole house, I am more than willing to give them a cookie and milk and a straw!


My Rating: Its a little hard to rate a children's book, should I be rating it as an adult or as a child? Either way I think I would give If You Give a Mouse a Cookie a rating of Three solid Paws. I do love this book, the illustrations are great, and its fun for kids, but I can imagine my poor mother got sick of saying  . ."If you give a mouse a cookie . . ."



Sleep good & Sweet Dreams tonight to you all!
~Ang

Next book is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment