Thursday, December 1, 2022

Advent Reads Day 1: The Christmas Pearl by Dorothea Benton Frank

  Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!



Synopsis: "Theodora is the matriarch of a family that, in her opinion, has grown into a bunch of truculent knuckleheads. They've all come together to South Carolina to celebrate Christmas. But this Christmas looks nothing like the extravagant, homey Christmases Theodora grew up with. What happened to the days when the holiday spirit meant tables groaning with home cooked goodies, over–the–top decorations, and long chats in front of the fire with Pearl, her grandmother's housekeeper/manager/caterer/psychiatrist/best friend? Luckily someone hears Theodora's plea for help and Merle (possibly Pearl?) arrives, pockets filled with Gullah magic and common sense to straighten everyone out."

My Review: I thought I would kick off this year's advent reads with a short but heartwarming book. This book certainly fits the bill. It is so relatable with the togetherness and warmth of the season being lost, along with traditions, to the hustle of daily lives and the polarizing views pulling people apart. I loved the concept of someone from the past coming in to bring back the traditions of old and to bring the family together. It was also interesting the way the family then had to settle old arguments and differences to be at peace and enjoy the season. I loved the way the generations are brought together in this one.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this one and recommend the audio book version if you enjoy them. It is a pretty short read and can be enjoyed in a day or two.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely and cozy. I love mixing old traditions with new ones.

    ReplyDelete