Saturday, March 7, 2020

Graphic Novel Review of Real Friends by Shannon Hale & Illustrated by LeUyen Pham

Read for: Graphic Novel/ TBR/ Middle Grade March

Synopsis: "When best friends are not forever . . .


Shannon and Adrienne have been best friends ever since they were little. But one day, Adrienne starts hanging out with Jen, the most popular girl in class and the leader of a circle of friends called The Group. Everyone in The Group wants to be Jen's #1, and some girls would do anything to stay on top . . . even if it means bullying others.



Now every day is like a roller coaster for Shannon. Will she and Adrienne stay friends? Can she stand up for herself? And is she in The Group—or out?



Newbery Honor author Shannon Hale and New York Times bestselling illustrator LeUyen Pham join forces in this graphic memoir about how hard it is to find your real friends—and why it's worth the journey."

My Review: Boy can I sympathize with Shannon in this graphic novel! This book really captures the struggles of making and keeping friends from a young age all the way into middle school. I really enjoyed the illustration style of this one, the bright colors and the clear facial expressions added to the story. This is definitely a real life look at friendships, especially for young girls. It is always difficult to become one of the 'Group' and even harder to maintain that status, until you finally realize what real friendships should be like. This is a great book for young readers to pick up, no matter who it is, they will be able to find a character in the book to relate with, it might just open some eyes.

My Rating: I was never really one of the "Group" in my school but I was lucky to find a friend for life before I ever entered school.  That said I had my fair share of struggles with finding and keeping friends, much like every other kid as they go through those awkward stages of growing up.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment