Thursday, December 12, 2019

Advent Reads Day 12: The Mitford Snowmen by Jan Karon

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Read for: Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "In the gentle tradition of James Herriot, Bailey White, and Garrison Keillor, Jan Karon continues the fresh and beautifully written story of Mitford, a small mountain town in the South. With more than 2 million copies of the Mitford Years titles in print, the endearing and eccentric residents of the little town with the big heart have become like family members to hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic readers.In The Mitford Snowmen, everyone's favorite characters are filled with holiday spirit. And when a swirling snowfall brings them to Main Street for a snowman building contest, the spirit of competition comes alive as well.Will Father Tim's or Uncle Billy's creation win the prize at Mitford's First Annual Snowman Jubilee? Will Percy and J.C. steal the show? And what's that wondrous smell of chocolate in the air?If you find the Mitford novels a feast, you'll find The Mitford Snowmen a delicious dessert. Let the town with the big heart bring you Christmas joy in this special holiday story. "

My Review: I have never read any of Karon's works before, so was unfamiliar with her Mitford town setting, but the small size and the beautiful watercolor cover really attracted me to this story. I think if I had been more familiar with the characters I would have enjoyed this one a bit more. With that said it was still a great little holiday story. I loved the sense of community I got from just the few short pages of this story. I also loved that it was all seemingly cranky older characters getting into the spirit by building unique snowmen. The addition of the beautiful watercolor images just adds to the feeling of the story.


My Rating: This was such a heartwarming little story, even not knowing the characters and the setting, the simple act of building snowmen was great.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.



No comments:

Post a Comment