Saturday, October 26, 2019

Graphic Novel Review of Gris Grimly's Frankenstein

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge & my love of Frankenstein (& highly recommended)

Synopsis: "Gris Grimly's Frankenstein is a twisted, fresh, and utterly original full-length, full-color graphic-novel adaptation of Mary Shelley's original text, brought to life by acclaimed illustrator Gris Grimly. The first fully illustrated version to use the original 1818 text, this handsome volume is destined to capture the imagination of those new to the story as well as those who know it well.


New York Times bestselling illustrator Gris Grimly has long considered Frankenstein to be one of his chief inspirations. From the bones and flesh of the original, he has cut and stitched Mary Shelley's text to his own artwork, creating something entirely new: a stunningly original remix, both classic and contemporary, sinister and seductive, heart-stopping and heartbreaking."

My Review: So this book came highly recommended to me by a fellow Frankenstein fanatic, but I have held of picking it up because the art style isn't really to my taste. I did finally find it at a discounted price, second hand and thought I might as well give it a shot. While I wasn't really a fan of the art style at all, I did really love the way the original work was adapted. The way the text is written in this graphic novel makes it very approachable, but yet stayed true to the tone and flow of the original work by Shelley. The way Grimly adapted the novel made is so much more approachable for all readers, it is easy to read (other than the letters which the script is so small it is sometimes hard to see) and seems a bit shorter (I read it in a single sitting). All and all, I can see why this is a favored graphic novel adaptation of Frankenstein and I would recommend it to readers who have been intimidated by the original work.

My Rating: Thanks Jenny for repeatedly pushing me to pick this one up! I really enjoyed the journey of this book even if I wasn't a huge fan of the art style (kind of steampunk in a Tim Burton/Nightmare Before Christmas).  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment