Friday, August 23, 2019

Arrg-ust Bedtime Story: Give Me Back My Bones! by Kim Norman & Illustrated by Bob Kolar

Read for: Children's Book Challenge

Synopsis: "A silly pirate skeleton seeks to put its bones back together in this rhyming romp beneath the waves.

Cast a spyglass 'round here
while breakers curl and pound here.
There's treasure to be found here -- 
I feel it in my bones!

A stormy night at sea has uncovered some long-buried secrets and surprises. Is that the mast of a shipwreck? A faded pirate hat? And what's that hiding in the sand? A mandible and a clavicle, phalanges and femurs, a tibia and a fibula -- could there be a set of bones scattered across the ocean floor? And who might they belong to? A jaunty rhyme takes readers on an underwater scavenger hunt as a comical skeleton tries to put itself back together piece by piece. Make no bones about it: this rollicking read-aloud will have young ones learning anatomy without even realizing it."

My Review: One final pirate Children's book for this year's Arrg-ust and this had to be it! This was a fun little picture book, with silly rhymes all about bones as the old pirate pulls his bones back together for another sea faring adventure. I loved this illustration style, it really lightened what could have been a scary book for some readers and make it quirky and fun.

My Rating: This was such a fun book, a bookish take on the song "leg bone connects to the knee bone" (I can't remember the name of that song).  I also loved that it wasn't overly spooky and didn't give Munchkin nightmares! I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag!


Good Night! Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment