Thursday, June 13, 2019

Review of Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech

Read for: Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "Perfect for fans of Charlotte’s Web and The One and Only Ivan, Saving Winslow is an uplifting modern classic in the making about a young boy who befriends an ailing newborn donkey and nurses him back to health, from New York Times bestseller and Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech.

Louie doesn't have the best luck when it comes to nurturing small creatures. So when his father brings home a sickly newborn mini donkey, he's determined to save him. He names him Winslow. Taking care of him helps Louie feel closer to his brother, Gus, who is far, far away in the army.

Everyone worries that Winslow won't survive, especially Louie’s quirky new friend, Nora, who has experienced loss of her own. But as Louie's bond with Winslow grows, surprising and life-altering events prove that this fragile donkey is stronger than anyone could have imagined.

Written in the spirit of Creech favorites Moo and Love That Dog, this standout tale about love and friendship and letting go will tug at the heartstrings."


My Review: I picked this one up on a whim after Munchkin and I really enjoyed Love That Dog. While the other book was written in verse, this was a narrative. I think I enjoyed this one even more. I adored Winslow and think I might be in need of a mini donkey foal. It is touching and heart warming, you really come to love all the characters that are brought together by this little donkey. I am curious if there are further books following these characters, I want to spend more time with all of them. This is a great book for young readers, the chapters are short and while it does hard subjects, it does keep it light enough for those young readers to understand the emotions and connect with them.

My Rating: As an adult reader I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read and it would be great for the target audience, I think Munchkin will have to give this one a try.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment