Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Arrg-ust Review of Who Was Blackbeard by James Buckley Jr

Read for: Arrg-ust & Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "Though much of his early life remains a mystery, Blackbeard most likely began his life as Edward Teach in the sailing port of Bristol, England. He began his career as a hired British sailor during Queen Anne’s War. He eventually settled in the Bahamas under Captain Benjamin Hornigold who taught the young sailor to go "a-pirating." Soon enough, Blackbeard was commanding his own fleet and stealing ships around the Caribbean and up and down the Eastern seaboard. Known for his thick, black beard and fearsome reputation, the legend of Blackbeard has influenced pirate legend and lore for over 300 years."

My Review: I haven't read many of these Who Was books and they are a little advanced for Munchkin yet (equivalent to a level 4 maybe in the early reader books), but I really like that there are so many non-fiction books to choose from. This was a great book to pickup as part of my pirate month. Not only did we find out Blackbeard and how his legend came to be (and ended) but it also debunked several pirate myths as well as point out facts about them. It was very informative, but still enjoyable to read and had a lot of great illustrations.

My Review: I really appreciated this non-fiction book, it not only cleared up a lot of the misconceptions about Blackbeard but also pirates in general (apparently they generally didn't have enough treasure to bury and their 'treasure' was generally not gold either).  I give this a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.


1 comment:

  1. I would have loved this as a kid. I’d love it now. I like knowing the real story.

    ReplyDelete