Thursday, August 9, 2018

Arrg-ust Review of Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Read for: Arrgust/ Audiobook Challenge

Synopsis: "Fly away with Peter Pan to the enchanted island of Neverland! This first chapter book adaptation of the classic novel, originally published in 1911, tells the story of the boy who never grows up. And when they join Peter on his magical island, Wendy and her brothers are in for exciting encounters with mermaids, an Indian princess, and pirates! Let the amazing adventures begin!"

My Review: With all my time reading, I don't think I have ever read the original Peter Pan story, I have read several retelling books but never the original story. I listened to the audio book and the narrator did a fantastic job with the voices, unfortunately I wasn't a fan of the story. First, I expected Hook, Tinkerbell and Tigerlily to have a much larger role in the story than they did. I also found Peter Pan to be a very unlikable character, he was annoying and conceited and was a habitual liar. He was also a bully. I feel like this was more a tale of caution against talking to strangers, too vivid imaginations and eccentric individuals. The one thing that I did love about this book is that it shows a mother's love and holds it above all else.

My Rating: I don't know why I never read the original story, but having read and seen so many adaptations of this story I was a little disappointed. I really wanted more Hook! I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag. 




2 comments:

  1. Kudos for you for reading this one! I’m so often disappointed with these classics that I tend to skip them. Peter Pan has always annoyed me and I love Hook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a long time ago, and I remember being disappointed and surprised as well. I wonder how this became a classic.

    ReplyDelete