Saturday, November 18, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of She and Her Cat by Makoto Shinkai

Read for Graphic Novel Challenge

Synopsis: "“It was the start of spring. It was raining. That was the day that she brought me home.”

This is the story of Miyu, a woman who lives alone with her cat, Chobi. As Miyu navigates the world of adulthood, she discovers both the freedom and loneliness that come with living independently, and Chobi learns of the outside world through her actions. Time drifts slowly for Miyu and her cat, but the harsh realities of the world soon catch up…"


My Review: I don't normally read Manga, but who could resist a story about a girl and her cat and the beautiful artwork?! This is the type of story I often look for in my graphic novels and I am so glad I picked it up. It is a quite and subtle story about a girl's struggle to come to terms with being an adult and finding her way on her own. Luckily she has her new cat Chobi to help her along the way. The story is told from Chobi's point of view and in that manner a lot of the human quirks and emotions are left for you to decide and other things are brought to the forefront. I really enjoyed this one and am so glad I decided to pick it up.
 

My Rating: I am glad I gave this one a try, even though some of it was a bit slow and some hard to decipher, I may even be willing to pick up more Manga along these lines in the future.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

3 comments:

  1. I love the art in manga and this one sounds delightful to a cat lover like me. I may have to check it out. I like GNs for the Dewey’s Read-a-Thon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE MANGA!! I have to find this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted a comment on todays post about this title! I love it!
    I haven't read a lot of Manga's, so kind of a newbie here, but I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete