Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss Bedtime Story: What Pet Should I Get

Read For: Children's Book Challenge & I LOVE Dr. Seuss!
 
Synopsis: "A never-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss!

This never-ever-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss about making up one’s mind is the literary equivalent of buried treasure! What happens when a brother and sister visit a pet store to pick a pet? Naturally, they can’t choose just one! The tale captures a classic childhood moment — choosing a pet — and uses it to illuminate a life lesson: that it is hard to make up your mind, but sometimes you just have to do it!

Told in Dr. Seuss’s signature rhyming style, this is a must-have for Seuss fans and book collectors, and a perfect choice for the holidays, birthdays, and happy occasions of all kinds.

An Editor’s Note at the end discusses Dr. Seuss’s creative process, his interest in animals, and Seussian creatures throughout his work."


My Review: I picked this book up for Munchkin last year but he didn't seem quite ready to truly appreciate Dr. Seuss yet. I am glad I waited and he had an opportunity to really enjoy some of my other Dr. Seuss books first. This one just wasn't quite up to par with his other books, the rhyming is there but it feels like it lacks that extra special creativity spark that I love about Dr. Seuss books. I do really enjoy the afterword but it isn't for the kids at all (even though if they are anything like Munchkin, they will ask you to read every word on every page).
 
My Rating: It wasn't quite up to the par I expect from Dr. Seuss, though a few of the later ones (the books released after his passing, that were found or finished by someone else) aren't quite as good.  This one leaves you really wondering at the end, which is okay but it drove poor Munchkin crazy.  It is still Dr. Seuss, though not quite the same.  We give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
 
Good Night! Sweet Dreams!
 
 
Don't forget to enter the giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment