Monday, December 14, 2015

Advent Reads Day 14: Picturing Christmas by Jason F. Wright

 
Synopsis: "New college grad Aubrey Porter is a gifted photographer ready for the world. With a degree and a dream, she's heading to New York City to start a new job and a new life. She can't wait to experience Rockefeller Center and to take a thousand pictures of her first Christmas in the city.

But before she's even on the ground, she loses the job and learns her parents are divorcing.

Can Aubrey find her way in an unforgiving city? Can she find love, or at the very least, a real friend? Most importantly, with her first holiday in New York fast approaching, can she create the kind of Christmas she always pictured?"



My Review: I was shocked to find I didn't instantly love a book by Wright! There were no tears, no pounding hearts, no connection really at all. The story was good, just didn't have the normal emotional power of his other books. Maybe it is because I can't relate to Aubrey's situation. As with all of his books, it does still have a lovely message about making Christmas about others and not yourself.
  
 
My Rating: This wasn't quite up to the level I expect from Wright, I always expect tears, even with his short stories but this one didn't bring them. It is still a good Christmas story.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one was a let down. That's always frustrating. I have issues with short stories. They too often fall flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a lot of times short stories leave you wanting a lot more out of them. But Jason Wright usually captures me no problem.

      Delete