Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Audio Review of Rider: Spirals of Destiny by Jim Bernheimer

 
Synopsis: "Forget everything you thought you knew about unicorns and maidens...

A unicorn is not supposed to survive the death of its rider, but Majherri did. Now he is a pariah, mistrusted by the Greater Herd. To reclaim his lost honor and status, he will entrust the remnants of his life to a new human female while unraveling the mystery of his continued existence.

Kayleigh Reese is not Battle Maiden material. She's three years older than any other recruit and has enjoyed a peaceful, nomadic life working with her artist mother. The rigors of joining the High-King's elite unicorn cavalry are clearly not for her. Now, with a bond to Majherri, she must overcome her mother's disapproval, the ire of her commanding officer and fellow trainees, and, most importantly, the secrets of her unicorn's past if she is to become a legendary warrior.

To prevail, they must quickly come together as a team and unlock the powerful and dangerous magic inside them."


My Review: This was an interesting book with some unique ideas and characters. There were some things I really enjoyed about it and a few that I definitely didn't, so I am a little on the fence with this one. I loved Kayleigh's character, she seems tough enough to work through issues but she definitely has her flaws. I didn't enjoy how the unicorns were overly humanized, yes they are intelligent and communicate using body language and bonds but occasionally they would put down one unicorn for using too human phrases but then they would turn around and use one just as human. I found it interesting how you don't find out who the true villain is until late in the book and it is obviously meant to lead you into reading the following book. I may or may not pick it up, I am not sure I am invested enough to put the second book as a priority over other books I already have on my shelves.
 
My Rating: It was enjoyable to read a good fantasy story but elements of it just didn't work for me. I am still debating whether to read the next book but it continues to nag in the back of my mind.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment