Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review of Visions of the Revolution by Jeffrey Minucci

 
Synopsis: "Ivan is a destitute, orphaned boy who witnessed the murder of his parents at the hands of a mysterious cult. Yet he is gifted with a rare genius and keen sense of intuition. He has visions, seeing disturbing things which elude others. After a chance encounter with the Tsar’s cousin, Ivan is propelled into the world of Tsarist Russia on the brink of a catastrophic event- the Russian Revolution. Soon he must deal with his sudden fame and rise in the Imperial order, as well as the suffering of his people. As revolution erupts and creates chaos everywhere, Ivan is faced with a stark, possibly irredeemable choice."

My Review: I originally expected this to be a little more of a fantasy thriller type book, but it turned out to be more of a historical fiction which was even better. I really enjoyed the way that Minucci developed Ivan and his connections with the other characters. I also really enjoyed the historical elements and while I remember briefly touching on the subject in school I find myself wondering how much of it is based in actuality. At times the writing was a little dry and read like a journal recounting of events as opposed to a narrative story, but those portions passed quickly and helped to clear up some confusion in what was occurring. All in all it was an interesting book that really piqued my interest into the subject.
 
My Rating: Even though it turned out to be not quite what I was expecting, the subject matter really captured my attention! I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
This book was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
 
You can find out more about Jeffrey Minucci and his work on his Goodreads Page.
 
You can also obtain your own copy of Visions of the Revolution in digital or print format on Amazon
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment