Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review of Waiting for Daybreak by Amanda McNeil


 
Synopsis: "What is normal?

Frieda has never felt normal. She feels every emotion too strongly and lashes out at herself in punishment. But one day when she stays home from work too depressed to get out of bed, a virus breaks out turning her neighbors into flesh-eating, brain-hungry zombies. As her survival instinct kicks in keeping her safe from the zombies, Frieda can’t help but wonder if she now counts as healthy and normal, or is she still abnormal compared to every other human being who is craving brains?"



My Review: Wow! Not at all what I was expecting! I was expecting Waiting for Daybreak to be a book mostly about zombies and fighting them, but what I found was more a journey into a survivor's psyche. I don't know what was scarier, the zombies or being in Frieda's mind. Amanda McNeil did a great job of using the first person narration and character development to draw us into the story. You really get the full feeling of being alone and not really knowing whether you are the only one. While I found some of her thought tangents a little distracting and not exactly linear, it gave you insight into her mental disorder. I adore Snuggles, and hope that if I am alone in a world like that my cat is still with me for company! One last thing I loved about the book, it takes place in Boston and being only an hour from there and spending a lot of time there, I was really able to picture the destruction.
 
 
My Rating: I really enjoyed this one even if it wasn't quite the zombie thriller I was expecting. I give it a rating of Four Paws!
 
Note: There are adult themes: graphic descriptions of zombies feeding, dead bodies & some sex
 
 
Waiting for Daybreak was sent to my by the author for review.
 
If you want to check out Waiting for Daybreak for yourself visit Goodread
Or you can get copy at Amazon or Barnes & Noble


3 comments:

  1. This one actually sounds pretty intriguing... I may have to consider it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting, just don't read it in the middle of the night when you are alone and its storming out LOL! Something hit the side of the house when I was reading and I about jumped out of my skin.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jessica. This one sounds surprisingly good. I'll have too look into it.

    ReplyDelete