Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review of Exile by Anne Osterlund

Synopsis From Goodreads: "Crown princess Aurelia is a survivor. She survived attempted assassination. She survived the king's rejection. She survived her mother's abandonment. And now, in exile, she must survive her kingdom-from hostile crowds to raw frontier to desert sands. But even as unknown assailants track Aurelia and expedition guide Robert, she knows her greatest risk is falling in love..."

My Review: This is a sequel to a book I read earlier this year, I was expecting a wonderful resolution, but did not get one. It definitely seems there will be another book coming! Anne Osterlund continues to surprise me by not sticking to the common princess plot lines. There were a couple of chapters that got a little confusing and seemed to be moving too quickly, but that could have been the way it was written because the characters were in a time of emotional meltdown, so maybe Anne Osterlund wanted you to experience the confusion with Aurelia and Robert. Once we got past those couple of chapters the story line moved along great, sucked me back into their world. I still find it difficult to mesh a princess/kingdom type world in with a frontier world (to me they belong in two separate time periods and even continents) but I am getting there. Aurelia is such a strong character, but I enjoyed seeing some of her weaker points, and Robert is an amazing young man. I hope to encounter more of the Valshone in the next books, it seemed like an interesting culture with some great characters! Ahhhh the wait is going to kill me!


My Rating: While I really enjoyed the story line and the characters those couple of early chapters really threw me for a loop and it took a lot to get back into the book, so it didn't suck me in as much or as quickly as I had hoped.  So I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment